Kicking off your weight loss journey is a big step toward reaching your body goals, but it often leaves behind a physical reminder: excess skin. As a board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Tag has helped many patients navigate this next phase to complete their weight loss journey, and the U Plastic Surgery + Aesthetics team is here to guide you, too.
Losing a significant amount of weight is an achievement worth celebrating. However, after the weight is gone, you might find yourself dealing with the new body image challenge that comes along with excess skin. Many people experience this side effect after substantial or rapid weight loss, and here’s why.
When you gain weight, your skin stretches to accommodate the added tissue beneath. When you lose that weight, the stretched tissue often lacks the elasticity needed to bounce back to fit your slimmer waistline. This excess skin can lead to many other challenges, including discomfort caused by this new obstacle, dissatisfaction with your appearance, and other skin conditions. The excess skin can also remind you of your past, leaving you with lower self-esteem despite your recent weight loss success.
All is not lost, however. Post-weight loss plastic surgery can give you that missing piece that ties a bow around your weight loss journey. By removing the excess skin and even contouring areas of the body where stubborn body fat lingers, Dr. Tag can complete your body transformation so you can finally feel proud of your results.
Common Plastic Surgery Procedures After Weight Loss
U Plastic Surgery + Aesthetics offers our patients a wide range of procedures to take on those last few steps of their journey together. From full body lifts to non-surgical treatments and everything in between, we’ll create a personalized treatment plan that works best for your unique needs.
- Tummy Tuck: This procedure reduces excess skin and fat in the abdominal region. It’s often combined with liposuction for optimal body contouring results. A tummy tuck can help you achieve a flatter, firmer abdomen, enhancing your new, slimmer figure.
- Body Lift: A body lift addresses excess skin and tissue around the entire body, not just the abdomen. It’s a comprehensive approach that can dramatically improve your appearance and comfort after significant weight loss.
- Breast Lift: After weight loss, the breasts can sag and lose their shape. A breast lift raises the position of the breasts, restoring a more youthful and perky appearance.
- Arm Lift: This procedure removes excess skin from the upper arms, often referred to as “bat wings.” An arm lift can give you more toned and proportionate arms, complementing your weight loss.
- Liposuction: When stubborn pockets of fat remain even after regular exercise and dieting, liposuction can remove the remainder by contouring target areas. We often use this treatment in conjunction with other procedures to fine-tune the results.
- Minimally Invasive Treatments: Non-surgical treatments like Morpheus8® and BodyTite use radiofrequency energy to tighten skin and improve tissue volume. Patients with less severe stretching are ideal candidates for these minimally invasive procedures.
Your treatment profile is unique to you and your needs, which is why scheduling a full consultation with Dr. Tag is the best way to move forward with your weight loss journey. As an experienced, board-certified surgeon, he will help you make the best decision that with yield the desired results.
Are You a Good Candidate for Post-Weight Loss Plastic Surgery?
Deciding to undergo plastic surgery for a post-weight loss transformation is a personal decision that requires careful consideration. It’s important to consider the following factors when choosing a care plan that works best for you.
- Your Overall Health: As with any serious surgical procedure, having a good bill of health is essential to a smooth surgery and easy recovery. It’s best to wait to schedule your procedure until your weight has stabilized at or near your goal weight as well, as significant weight fluctuations that occur after surgery can affect your results.
- Your Personal Goals: Our team wants to ensure that you get the results you desire, but it’s important to have realistic expectations heading into your consultation. Understand that although plastic surgery can work wonders for your appearance, it cannot replace the value of a healthy lifestyle.
- Dr. Tag’s Recommendations: Dr. Tag has years of experience working with all kinds of post-weight loss cases. He will be with you every step of the way to guide your decision-making process and discuss your goals.
Turn the Next Page On Your Weight Loss Journey
We understand that discussing your body and your insecurities can be a sensitive topic. That’s why we strive to create a comfortable, respectful, and confidential environment for these discussions. Our goal is to ensure that you feel heard, understood, and confident in your decision to pursue plastic surgery, and if you’re ready to turn the next page on your weight loss journey, call our Baltimore-area office to schedule your plastic surgery consultation.